Friday, March 21, 2008

Tooths

I went to the dentist on Tuesday, I mostly wanted to use them for the free teeth whitening package that came with a first visit. Little did I suspect, they had plans to use me for drill practice! My mom has always been religious about carting us to the dentist every 6 months to be poked and prodded and scraped. I always hated it, (I distinctly remember trying to dislodge a block from my mouth so I could continue to bite the dentist who put it there) but I am thankful for it, because I have never had a cavity before. Well, at least until Tuesday.

On Tuesday the hygienist first cleaned my teeth, and began telling me about the advanced gum disease I have. She then began cleaning my teeth with that sharp, hook shaped tool. She was none too careful and I got poked several times. When I jumped she said, “Oh does that hurt? See, that’s a sign of gum disease it’s not normal to feel any pain during a cleaning.” Pig Pucky! It’s a sign of being stabbed by a miniscule hook! It’s not called gum disease! It’s called having nerves! Anyway, it was all downhill from there. The dentist said I had 15 cavities that need filling and recommended a $1500 deep cleaning treatment to clear up my Periodontal gum disease. He also said I need a $200 bruxism guard. I may grind my teeth at night, but I can get a guard for $3.20 at Wal*Mart to fix that.

So at this point I think I am probably getting scammed. I don’t want to be a cynic, but this dentist was extremely well decorated, mirrors all over, candles, wall hangings, paintings, plants, fancy lights, stereos etc. This would be a nice atmosphere if I didn’t know where the money for all that was coming from, me. Also, I don’t have any pain in my mouth. You would think a person who has half of her teeth rotting out of her head, plus festering gum disease, would feel some kind of pain now and then. I could believe that I have a cavity or two, but fifteen? Seems fishy.

So I’m getting a second opinion. Dear Dentist from Tuesday, I hope you read this, and I hope you know your magazines in the waiting area stink.

6 comments:

Pop said...

It is a periodontal scam! The rational used by these so-called dental professionals is "...well, it may not be a cavity exactly, but it might one day become a cavity, plus I need a new boat, so I'll drill away." Run away from such dental deceivers! Just get some Durham's rock hard putty and a spackling knife.

McEwens said...

Hee hee I think you are mostly joking about the putty, but that idea doesn't sound half bad right now...

kami said...

this is kamille...i used to work with bryce and i found your blog through steff's...just wondering though because i had a similar dentist experience at cougar dental! they told me i had 8 cavities and it was SUPER expensive...and i've never had so many cavities before...i'm pretty sure it was a lie. just wondering if that's where you went! if so...or even if you didn't go there, never go there!

McEwens said...

Kamille! Okay so I left OIT before meeting you, but Steff always talked about you so I feel like I know you anyway. Weird eh? It wasn't Cougar Dental, but I am now officially skeptical of all dental practitioners!

Dawn said...

I don't know if you will remember me or not, but I'm your mother-in-law's sister, Dawn. I work for a pediatric dentist, and your experience definitely sounds "fishy" to me. First of all, you say you have never had a cavity? How long has it been since you saw a dentist? Beware of those that advertise something for nothing or a great deal...because they will usually get you in some other way. My guess is you may have some deep grooves in your teeth that he could put a sealant on (about 1/3 the cost of a filling), and call it good. The dentist I work for said he went to a meeting once where the guy teaching said if you touch a drill to the tooth, you call it a filling! Also, if you have been flossing on a semi-regular basis, I doubt you have serious periodontal disease. I would wait six months and find a new dentist...someone recommended to you and someone that has been in practice for awhile and doesn't have a brand new office to pay for! (and make sure you brush and floss good for those 6 months!) By the way, I love your blog and your pictures...especially the ones you draw! Also, I will have to show Scott your potato gun; he has one also that he made, but yours is much fancier1 Enjoy...and good luck with your teeth!
Aunt Dawn

McEwens said...

I remember you Dawn! Thanks for the advice! It had been a whole year since I went to a dentist but I do floss, I am definitely going to a different dentist! We will have to get together with Scott and have a spud shooting extravaganza :)