Tuesday, June 30, 2009

German words for English Eyes


We see a lot of funny things around town. Some of them are odd English words and some are not odd German words, but they sound funny when you pretend that they are. For example, this cereal has an English name, but I am not sure what they were going for. Is this cereal really free to eat? Can I just eat a few handfuls there in the store, or do I have to eat the whole box? Actually, does "Free to Eat" refer to the cereal or is it just the box I am allowed to eat without paying? So many questions.Then there are signs that seem hostile. I don't know who the Schmuck(ecke) is, but it seems sad someone wants him to die.
At least here they are not specifically targetting anyone. They are dealing out equal opportunity death threats.
But, enough death. Why not enjoy a "BumBum" ice cream instead? (P.s. Oddly enough the Bum Bum flavor was not delicious.)
If you don't fancy an ice cream there is always the mixture of bum flavors to be found in "BUMIX".
Or perhaps instead of bum you prefer the more refined "Rump"?
And everyone knows there is no better way to relax than with your very own Cult in your very own home!

11 comments:

Sara said...

HAHAHA!!! That was hilarious! You should bring some bum mix home with you!

Haley! said...

Mmm I could really go for some bum bum ice cream right about now. Or maybe those new poop pops...

Steffy said...

This is probably my favorite post yet! I love how happy you look to find English words.

Jamie Densley Fieber said...

Super Funny! I'm literally still laughing! Thanks for always giving us something to bring a smile!

Cheryl said...

That is so awesome you get to spend the summer in Germany! Have fun!

CLAIRIC≡ said...

Hahaha! That's awesome! I wish we had cool stores like the Rump ;)

Sonya said...

I'm personally still mystified by "Cult at home". Bumbum could be pleasing to ears that don't have the negative English associations, but what is Cult? Are they being like the annoying ditzy girls who shorten every other word? Fab, splen, fan, and i can't really think of other examples but they exist and are dumb. So Cult is ditzy for Culture?

Nora's world said...

Can you send me some kinder eggs? Or bring some home with you? I forgot about them until I read your post.. and my kiddos would LOVE them! I am glad you are having a great adventure.

McRachie said...

Sonya, your are correct "Cult" is shortened "Culture", but I don't know if it counts as ditzy since Culture is not a German word and the way it is spelled would be pesky for non-English speaking Germans.

McRachie said...

Holly: Hello!! I will totally bring you some! See you in August!

Remember White Rabbit said...

Great collection of funny signs!