Thursday, December 17, 2009

Heimweh Streusel Experiment


When we first got back to America I was so happy to be back that I could have kissed the filthy Slurpee machine in 7-11, but as time has gone by I have started to miss Germany again. I miss our friends there the most. I wish the ocean was smaller.

Another thing I miss about Germany is the little bakeries all over the place. Seriously all over the place, I think there was one on every block! These bakeries make piles of delicious things every day and sell them at a reasonable price. My favorite was the streusel. To make myself feel less Germany-homesick I decided to make some streusel, but I couldn't find a real German recipe anywhere on the internet though! So I decided to use this cinnamon roll recipe from allrecipes. After I made the dough it occurred to me to search for the words "Streusel Teig" (Teig means dough or pastry) and ta da! About a million recipes came up, doh! (haha get it? like dough? hee hee hee) Anyways, next time I'll try a 100% authentic recipe. Here is the dough all rolled out:Then I put blueberry jam on it. I am pretty sure they don't use jam in real bakeries.
Then I rolled it up.
Then I sliced it with some floss.
The streusel I had was a lot more flat than cinnamon rolls are, so I tried squishing my rolls.
My friend Carolla Heller, gave me a recipe for the topping. She is German so it made me feel better about using a random dough recipe. Her recipe is:
1 1/2 C flour
3/4 C butter
3/4 C sugar
1 t vanilla extract
Smoosh it together and put on top:
Here is the finished product!
Bryce said they were great and tasted like the ones from German bakeries. I thought it was similar but not quite as good, (this could be because I was cranky about discovering a bunch of real recipes after using a fake one). Anyways, it made me feel better about not having bakeries all over the place. Also it turned out much better than my fish rolls:

3 comments:

Steffy said...

That looks delicious! I miss your cooking like mad!

Sonya said...

That.... was gross. If I never see another dead fish, ever, I will be happy.

Reecie! said...

haha! Mmmm fish....