Wednesday, February 24, 2010

No Poo

It's not what you think! Maybe it's worse... "No Poo" is a movement of people who have decided to stop using shampoo. My dear friend Sonya (who is a secret hippie) told me about this some time ago and I was thoroughly grossed out. Most hippies who read this will be disgusted with me because I am much more concerned with how my hair looks than I am with the dangers of chemicals and plastic bottles. I know it's vain, but that's the truth.

I would consider myself to be a highly unlikely candidate for "No Poo". I have unruly, thin, wavy hair and the idea of releasing it from its chemical shackles sounds like a recipe for disaster. However, ever since this summer shampoo has not been doing the trick like it used to. My hair has felt heavy and gunky even when I just showered recently. I learned that you can use baking soda as a shampoo and vinegar as a conditioner, this sounded like a 5th grade science experiment volcano to me, but I did it anyway and I was surprised at how nicely it worked. No gunk!

So I have kept doing it. It has been a week since I used shampoo, and I've used the volcano recipe twice.

See! Not greasy!!! I used enough baking soda and water to make a paste, then rubbed that into my roots. Rinsed well and then conditioned with 2 T white vinegar in 2 C of water, which I didn't rinse out. (I know, vinegar smells weird, but the smell totally disappears when your hair dries! I'm serious! Come smell my head!)

A lot of people who talk about no poo claim that their formerly terribly messy hair became silky soft and naturally beautiful without any styling. A lot of other people said their head became a massive ball O'butter and society shunned them. My experience has been in the middle. When I go a few days without washing, my hair is a bit greasy, when I wash it it is clean but must be tamed by a curling iron or straightener. It seems to work just as well as shampoo and conditioner ever did, plus it is ridiculously cheap.

So stay posted, I will give another update in a week to see if anything drastic happens. And to Sonya: You may possibly have been right about this, but don't think I am crossing over to the hippie side! I am just really cheap!

8 comments:

Sara said...

Hmmm I'm suspicious of the name "No Poo." If you remove the "poo" from the "shampoo" it leaves you with the "sham" and that makes me hesitant. Also the baking soda and vinegar part make me hesitant, but your hair looks so good in your pictures so I think I will take you up on the head smelling to see about this.

Haley! said...

Ooh so pretty! but, I would never do that!

Haley! said...

I love those "I am BYU" shirts... my birthday is coming up... :)

Sonya said...

Haha! Lucky for me, most hippie conservation changes you can make in your life are wayyyy cheaper than the planet-killing industrial chemical methods.
You'll be using The Family Cloth in no time! (hehee... Google it!)

The thing that annoys me with shampoo is that it has detergent, to get rid of the conditioner from last time as well as the oils. Then the conditioner also has detergent but tons of goopy moisture stuff. And your hair makes oil. And the more you wash your hair, the more oil there is. Something in the system seems flawed.

Reecie! said...

Your hair looks super pretty! But I think I'm a little too suspicious of this craziness to try it for myself...
I also love that BYU shirt, just consider it as a reeeaally early birthday present!! ;D

M. McEwen said...

You said:

'I would consider myself to be a highly unlikely candidate for "No Poo" '

I would agree, especially considering you married Bryce. (If you know what I mean - and I can say that because I'm his mom :)

And PS to REALLY be a volcano, you would need to add some high-stain red food coloring. Not suggesting that mind you -- just saying.

Cheryl said...

Interesting combination. . .I'm curious to see how it goes. Your hair looks really cute in those pictures!

Cheryl said...

Interesting combination. . .I'm curious to see how it goes. Your hair looks really cute in those pictures!