Friday, September 10, 2010

Desert Dessert
We are going to a party tonight, generously put on by the professor Bryce is working with. Everyone is supposed to bring a dessert. At least that is what I am guessing we are supposed to bring, because the invitation actually said "Desert Social! Bring your favorite desert!"

Now, I know a lot of you, out there, often wonder if you have what it takes to be an English major. If the concept of a "Desert Dessert" amuses you for more than three hours it is highly possible that you might have what it takes!

Here's how I made it:First I made a giant vat of vanilla pudding. You can use boxed pudding, but making pudding from scratch is almost exactly as hard as making pudding from not-scratch, and it is cheaper! I'll put the recipe below.
I put some graham crackers at the bottom of my pan. Then I mixed half of the pudding with a container of Cool Whip. Spread that on, and then added another layer of graham crackers.
My dad taught me that while it is possible to make desserts without chocolate, there isn't really a good reason to do it. So I added chocolate, (recipe also below).
Next came another layer of pudding. (This was supposed to be a layer of pudding Cool Whip mixture, but I forgot, oops!)
Next came crushed up Vanilla Wafers for sand.
Finally I added green gummy orange slices, sour patch kids, and chocolate rocks. Ta da! Desert Dessert!
Hopefully Bryce's professor thinks this is endearingly cheeky and delicious, instead of annoying.

Pudding Recipe:

INGREDIENTS

* 1/2 cup white sugar
* 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (I left this out this time)
* 1/4 cup cornstarch
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 2 3/4 cups milk
* 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract


DIRECTIONS

1. In a saucepan, stir together sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt. Place over medium heat, and stir in milk. Bring to a boil, and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Remove from heat, and stir in margarine and vanilla. Let cool briefly, and serve warm, or chill in refrigerator until serving.



Chocolate Frosting Recipe:

Melt together:

2 sq. Unsweetened chocolate
2 t Corn Syrup
2 t Vanilla
3 T Butter

Beat with:
1 1/2 C Powdered sugar
3 T Milk

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Nice work. I'm going to try that pudding from scratch thing. I always use a box.

Haley! said...

YAY!!! :) I love it! Yummy deserts! :)

Haley! said...

YAY!!! :) I love it! Yummy deserts! :)

Melanie said...

how could a dessert possibly be annoying? looks delicious and clever!