Friday, October 08, 2010




German Food Night

This week I was super excited because I found Weißwurst at Macey's. I love making German food because it reminds me of the time we spent in Germany and Austria and of the time Bryce spent there as a missionary for our church. (That's why his German abilities are so impressive.)

Weißwurst is traditionally eaten with pretzels and sweet/hot mustard. Since there are not bakeries on every corner here in Orem, I decided to make my own pretzels. I used this recipe, and really liked it a lot. (It is in German, but if you really want to make these you can probably use Google translate, or ask me and I will explain things to you.) The recipe looks like it has a ton of instructions, but a lot of that text is the writer explaining about where to get baking soda in Germany. I could never find it in grocery stores, you have to get it at a pharmacy, or a "Chemikalienhandel", whatever the heck that is.This dough was really nice. It wasn't sticky at all, kind of like playing with white Play Dough.
I used cake flour for these, but all-purpose would probably work just fine too.
This is a vat of boiling water and baking soda, a LOT of baking soda.
This is the most important part of making pretzels. It is the difference between making pretzels and making pretzel shaped rolls.
Use a sharp knife to cut a slit in the chubby lower part of the pretzel:
That way it can explode open while they are cooking! By the way they really really stick to the pan while baking, so if you don't have a silicone mat you are going to have to seriously grease that pan.
Ta da!

Yay!

No comments: