Thursday, October 07, 2010

It Might Get Mushy

Five years ago I was single and working early morning custodial at BYU. I have worked custodial at three different buildings at BYU two of them, I loved. Everyone is friendly and kind, and it is nice to have your work done before anyone else is even out of bed. That was two of them, five years ago I was working custodial and I hated it. I hated it because my supervisor's boss harassed me every day. I think maybe he thought he was joking around? I didn't know who to go to for recourse, so I just tried to ignore it. One day, it happened, I couldn't take it anymore. So I quit. I walked out and never went back.

This caused a problem, namely a no-money problem. I began looking for jobs and I found the perfect job: The Reptile Show-person at the Bean Museum! (The Bean museum is full of taxidermy animals, not beans.) I knew I would be excellent at it, teaching kids about snakes, playing with tarantulas, it would be fantastic! So I applied and prayed and waited. And waited. and waited. And they never called me. I was totally crushed.

My beloved roommate Steffy suggested I apply to the Office of IT doing tech support with her. This sounded completely lame compared to the glory of the reptile show, but I applied anyway. Guess who else was working at IT?



Five years ago I didn't know it, but not getting that job at the Bean Museum was the best thing that ever happened to me. I don't believe in fate, but I believe this applies to us:

“While I am sure some young couples have some special guidance in getting together, I do not believe in predestined love. If you desire the inspiration of the Lord in this crucial decision, you must live the standards of the Church, and you must pray constantly for the wisdom to recognize those qualities upon which a successful union may be based. You must do the choosing, rather than to seek for some one-and-only so-called soul mate, chosen for you by someone else and waiting for you. You are to do the choosing. You must be wise beyond your years and humbly prayerful unless you choose amiss”(Eternal Love [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1973], p. 11).

I am so grateful for Bryce, for what a wonderful and attentive husband he is. I am grateful for all the adventures we have had, and all the ones we will have and keep having forever. I love you Honey!

4 comments:

Haley! said...

<3

Sara said...

Bryan and I are glad you didn't get that stinky reptile job too!!! :D

Tara said...

Awww Bryce couldn't have picked a better wife. I absolutely ADORE having you as my sister too!

McRachie said...

hee hee <3