Thursday, October 14, 2010

Whippersnappers

Some people are young at heart. Other people are called "old souls". Of the two choices I think I most fit into the latter. Although, usually when someone is called an "old soul" it is because they are serene and wise and stuff. I don't think I am that kind of "old soul", I am more of the "Old-you-hooligans-better-get-off-my-lawn-soul".

Seriously, I don't like teenager fashions, or music, or TV shows. I take about 30 years to write a text message, (and I will NEVER write abbreviations or leave out punctuation, and I ALWAYS capitalize the correct letters). I am just learning to tolerate Facebook, but I will never embrace Twitter.

So I do not naturally gravitate toward teenagers. Even when I was a teenager I wasn't especially happy about being around teenagers. Something magical happened though. Latter Day Saints have a "lay ministry" which means normal, not specially trained, people (or laymen) fulfill the church duties. All Mormons get a "calling" for a finite amount of time. I was called to work with teenagers!
This shows me that whom the Lord calls, the Lord qualifies; because I have loved every minute of working with the youth. They are so fun, so smart and funny. They have some sort of spidey-sense ability to know when there is a funny movie on YouTube.
I love teaching and hanging out with them, and hearing about their lives. They are definitely the best!

3 comments:

Camie and JD said...

I love your face in that last one.

Haley! said...

I love this! I always wondered who your beehives were! I don't think I will ever like twitter either! I mean, who wants to... "tweet"?!

McRachie said...

Hee hee It's always good to discover a fellow Twitter-curmudgeon!