Saturday, January 01, 2011

Mrs. Beakley
As you know I have been working at a new job. It has been really fantastic so far. BYU is definitely the best place I have ever worked. I have been trying to adjust to my new schedule. It's a little stressful learning the ropes and meeting a lot of people at once, and suddenly feeling like there is no time to shop for groceries or write on a blog. I think I have finally figured out a schedule though and I am feeling pretty good about it.To celebrate becoming gainfully employed I decided to make duck. (Duck in the crock-pot of course, I have a job now guys.) I made this recipe for crock-pot duck, except I didn't skin my duck. People skin poultry to make it less fatty, and I am of the opinion that if you want something less fatty you should just eat something that is not a duck.
First I mixed up my spices, coriander, anise seeds, cinnamon, cloves and ginger.
then I washed the duck (which Bryce named Mrs. Beakley). I also washed some leeks (because I like those better than green onions) by cutting them lengthwise and washing each layer. Leeks are such dirty things. Next I chopped off Mrs. Beakley's tail. What? She wasn't using it anymore!
Then I mixed enough soy sauce with the spices to make a paste, put and some in the cavity along with the chopped leeks.
When cooking any kind of whole bird in a slow cooker you need to raise it up from the bottom, if you don't want mushy meat. I put three ramekins in the bottom of mine to hold Mrs. Beakley up, but you can use oranges, or carrots, or balls of foil and get the same benefit.
Next I put some leeks over the ramekins, smeared spices and soy sauce all over Mrs. Beakley and put her breast-up on the leek bed. I also scored her fat. (Just the fat not the meat!) I then popped her in the fridge over night to let her marinate.
The next morning I drizzled her with more soy sauce and some honey.
Then Bryce and I left for BYU with the most beautiful sunrise to greet us. This was lovely. It is wonderful to go to BYU with Bryce everyday. What is not lovely is that I 100% forgot to turn on the crock pot. So that day we came home to raw duck. Boo! I felt pretty dumb about this. I think we had grilled cheese sandwiches instead or something. Never fear though, a few weeks later I did it all over again, except this time I actually cooked the duck!
Behold! Mrs. Beakley the second! She cooked for about 7 hours on low. (Note: When your duck comes out of the crock-pot it will be totally pale and unappetizing. I finished Mrs. Beakley the second off in the oven on broil for about 3 minutes to give her this crispy look.) We ate her with plum sauce, and I have to admit, I am pretty proud of how super delicious she was. It reminded me of being on a cruise with fancy chefs making dinner for us. I definitely recommend this recipe, but mostly I recommend turning the crock-pot on, because that made a major difference in deliciousness.

No comments: