Monday, February 28, 2011

The Best Bread

I like to make bread, and I like to eat bread, but I have always thought of bread as something you have to plan for, something that takes a looong time. That is until my neighbor, Charlotte, shared this yummy recipe with me. This bread is so fast and so tasty.

When I made it Bryce said "This bread is really good, where did you get it?" because I made it faster than I could go to the store, or make my other bread recipe. It also makes yummy hamburger buns.

Ingredients:
1.5 Cups warm water divided
1.5 Tablespoons active dry yeast
3 teaspoons honey, divided
3.25 Cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
Melted butter for brushing on the loavesFirst combine 1/2 cup of the warm water and 1 teaspoon of the honey with the yeast. Let it sit for 5 minutes to get all bubbly.
Then add all the other ingredients, except for your water.
Slowly add your water (up to the remaining 1 Cup)
Until your dough is smooth, and stretchy and not terribly sticky. (You can do this last part by hand of you are not lazy like me.)
Shape your dough into two long cylinders.
Use a sharp knife to cute a ridge along the top.
Cover it with a wet towel and let it sit for 20-30 minutes, or until your dough has doubled in size. (Meanwhile you can make the rest of your dinner.)
Uncover the dough and put it in an oven preheated to 450 degrees. Put a pan of water in the bottom of the oven to make it humid.
Then cook your bread. The recipe says 15 minutes, but mine only took 10. You know it's done when you tap the top of it with a knife and it gives off a hollow sound.
Slice it and eat it, hooray!

3 comments:

Alan said...

Looks yummy! You'll have to make some next time we see you!

Rain Coyote said...

Mmm! Looks so tasty!

Haley! said...

Hmmm, this is definitely going into my recipe book!! :D