Monday, March 14, 2011

Giant Emma Smith

The Relief Society ladies got together last week to celebrate the founding of Relief Society. We had a service auction and it was really fun. I was part of the planning committee for the meeting, and somehow one of the ladies suggested that as part of the decorations I paint a giant portrait of Emma Smith. As you might imagine, when she suggested that I was thinking "Heeeeck no!" I was prepared to say this out-loud, but somehow she used Jedi mind powers on me and instead I said "Ok, sure."

There are pictures of the whole process somewhere, but the camera they are on is missing, so I only have two.Handsome Bryce helped me, because if I was getting swindled into this project then so was he.
We painted it with acrylics on a twin bed sheet. Before you get all impressed though, you should know that we totally cheated. I projected this image of Emma Smith onto the sheet and outlined everything in pencil so it was pretty much just a gigantic "Paint-by-Number". (I told that to people and they said "Oh, that's not cheating!" but yes, it totally is.)

Nevertheless I think it turned out pretty nice. Bryce and I have done one other painting like this. It is a pretty fun project, but a lot of work. I think Emma Smith took between 10 and 12 hours. But 10-12 hours of hanging out with Bryce is basically a party, even when you have to stare into the gigantic face of the first Relief Society president during that time.

4 comments:

natalie said...

Oh my gosh that is incredible!!

Haley! said...

That is cool! Sounds like fun! :D

Alan said...

Excellent job!

Do not get hung up with this "cheating" nonsense! The only thing that matters is the final image. It is no less a beautiful image if you used a ruler or projector to assist in creating it. Leonardo and Vermeer used the camera obscura. (Note: that is Leonardo, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, not the Renaissance genius).

McRachie said...

Hahaha thanks Dad <3