Friday, March 25, 2011

Happy Birthday, from Grumpy Old Rachel Today is my sister Haley Lyn's birthday, and it is the day the Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook ceo, is speaking at BYU. Haley and Mark, if you were expecting me to send birthday wishes through Facebook you are going to be disappointed. I have a Facebook account, so I can see baby pictures and talk to our friends in Germany, but I don't really like it very much.

In the above screen shot I have marked the things I disapprove of in red. Facebook causes people to forget how to spell things. Also with the way people abbreviate things you would think Facebook is charging by the letter. The abbreviations would lead me to believe that everyone was in a terrible hurry, if it weren't for the fact that I can see they are on Facebook all day everyday.
I know Facebook doesn't have a "hug" feature, but I have seen countless "hugs" given over the cold computer screen. It makes the shriveled old lady in me furious. Back in my day we didn't just type "hug" we actually gave people hugs using our arms, and I still believe this is the best way.



So maybe you are too far away to give an actual hug? There are three ways that I think are actual ways to be a friend, they are: talking in person, talking on the phone, or writing a letter. These things are inconvenient because they take time to do, which is the very reason that they are meaningful. It takes three seconds to type a little message on Facebook, and the meaning behind it lasts only about half of that. Real friends don't type "hug" and move on to nosing through pictures to see who is looking chubby these days. Real friends actually spend time on you to find out what is going on and what they can do.

I know you don't have time for everybody. That is perfectly fine, you don't actually need 800 friends, and you are kidding yourself if you think you can have that many. You can have as many friends as you can actually spend time on. Let's be honest here, you know you would have more time for your real friends if you spent less time spying on your non-friends on Facebook.
I see the value of staying in touch, and an easy way to share pictures, but Facebook will never be a way to stay friends with someone without spending actual time on them.

So Haley, I am not going to tell you Happy Birthday on Facebook, I'm going to take the time and call you on the phone because I love you.
p.s.
I am also going to log on and leave snide remarks, making fun of your friends on Facebook, because I love that too.

2 comments:

Haley! said...

Hahahahaha thank you Rachel!! I love you! :)

Rain Coyote said...

Wow, you just listed almost all the reasons why I refuse to get a facebook. The other one is pride. It's a pride issue now. I'm going to hold out until the end. I'll probably be hunted down by Facebook nazis.