Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Pioneer Day Cake

Yesterday was Pioneer Day in Utah (ok, Sunday was Pioneer Day, but that is the Sabbath so we celebrated on Monday instead). It is a state holiday to commemorate the original founders of the state.

If you wanted to appreciate pioneers you might get dysentery and then spend the day walking barefoot in the desert for miles and miles hauling all of your possessions in a rickety wooden wagon, then finish it up by eating a meager helping of gruel cooked over a fire of burning ox poop; but in Utah we just have a flags in our front yards, barbecues, and fireworks.

This is great, because first of all we don't have to hunt for ox-poos, and second of all it is basically a second fourth of July! I am glad about that because I stumbled across the idea for this cake on July 5th and I didn't want to wait a whole year to make it.You need two white cake mixes. Dye one of the rounds red, one blue, and leave one white (You will have an extra round, you can dye that whatever color you want, I made mine red so I could have an extra stripe.)
Slice the red and white cakes through the center with a piece of floss. This is fun, and always turns out perfectly. Stack them on each other with a thin layer of frosting in between each layer.

Next cut a circle out of the center of your blue cake. I happened to have some little Pyrex dishes that were the prefect size for this. I just punched it through the blue layer.
I set the Pyrex on top of the red layer and used a knife to cut through the first two layers (red and white). You could maybe punch it through those, but it would probably be super messy. You could also probably do this step before the red and white layers are glued to the cake.

Note, you will have a lot of cake scraps. You could make them into a trifle if you wanted to. I just ate them in scrap form though. Be careful though, it is very easy to consume an entire cake when it is in scrap form.
Place your blue ring cake on the red and white cake and frost the whole thing.

I always crumb coat my cakes when I frost them. Especially when the cake has as many crumbs as this one. A crumb coat is basically the ugliest frosting job of all time. Just wipe a thin layer of frosting all over that cake, then pop it in the fridge.
People who are professional cake makers take the time to make their crumb coat all smooth, but I am too lazy for that.

After the frosting sets in the fridge take it out and cover it with your real frosting layer. This layer is your Precious. If you see a stray crumb creeping into this frosting layer don't try to be a hero, stop everything and remove it at once. I like to put a big blob of frosting on the top and scrape it down onto the sides, rotating the cake as I go.
Ta da! When you are done no one will ever suspect the secret shame that was the crumb coat!
Also, no one will suspect how magically patriotic your cake is inside!
I am really grateful for the sacrifices of the Mormon Pioneers. Some of my ancestors made the journey across the country, enduring incredible hardship so that I would be able to have a better life with flag themed cakes.
P.s.
Note my Boggle sheet under that piece of cake. I totally won. Thank you English degree.

No comments: