Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Family Lingo

In our house we have a certain special lingo derived mostly from funny things that we have heard little kids say. For example:

Once when we were in a restaurant there was a couple in full-on snog-mode. My brother Nate, who was probably about 4 pointed this out by whispering:This saying has since been broadened to refer to any public behavior that you wish would stop. Nathan also coined the phrase "Don't look at my shame" after you have done something embarrassing; and the counter-part "It was ME! I did it!" for when you are proud of something that other people would consider embarrassing.

When my sister Haley was about 2 she could talk really well. She could also sniff out any kind of cookies, or cakes, or candies really well. If she caught you with a treat she would say:

She also would say "Heeeey, why I not got no _______" fill in the blank with whatever Haley wanted you to "share" with her. We still use both of these saying regularly.

One of the most useful sayings came from my niece Maddy, when she was 2 or 3. She was in the kitchen riding Woodruff and shouted:
You know the feeling, staring into an overflowing fridge but not seeing anything you want to eat. Really, there is not a more articulate way to express this feeling.

It's kind of weird how these little sayings stick with you. Does your family say anything weird?

4 comments:

Sara said...

AT LAST! AT LAST! IT'S MINE! -Nate

Alan said...

"It's NOT your birthday!"—Haley

McRachie said...

Haha I forgot about those two!

Rain Coyote said...

I love that last one. I had that moment last night.