Monday, November 21, 2011

Blessing Clothes

New Mormon babies are given a name and a blessing in church soon after they are born. This is something we do because of modern-day revelation. It is a little similar to a christening in some ways, but differs in others. You can read about baby blessings here. Mostly it differs in that the baby is not baptized, as we do not believe that the baby is accountable for their own or Adam's transgressions.

It is similar in that the baby wears a fancy white little outfit though! Since McBaby has been born two things have happened, first my capacity for love increased greatly, second my capacity for extreme penny-pinching increased greatly. I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on a little outfit that he would only wear once. So I decided to experiment with making my own.

I basically copied the construction of this little outfit. I liked it because it had separate openings at the top and bottom.

Handsome Bryce had a few T-shirts around that he only wore once (since he is so tall many shirts make him resemble Bill S. Preston, Esq. after only one wash). They were very white and soft so I decided to snip them up.


Here are all the pieces (there are two arm pieces stacked up in the top left corner).

I sewed the front and back body pieces together, then hemmed the sleeves ad sewed them up. I had to hand stitch the sleeves onto the body because my machine's bed was too wide for the little bitty arm holes.

Next I added a tab to close the top with, and a collar.

I didn't sew the legs together because they close with snaps.

The feet were a little tricky, but not that tricky. They had two parts.

I sewed the footsie-fronts to the base of the legs.

Then attached the bottoms to the foot-fronts and the back of the legs.

It looked like this when they were done.

Here is the basic onesie. I sewed on snaps, and some details to fancy it up, like buttons, a vest and a bow-tie. (All the parts were made with things I had laying around.)

Ta da! It is still a little bit big on my handsome baby, but I think it should be just right in a few weeks when he gets his blessing.

hee hee! Babykins!

6 comments:

Haley Dennis said...

Awwww!! I am glad my buttons helped! :) <3

Sara said...

CUTE!!! I love the bowtie!

McRachie said...

Yes ma'am! Also good idea to put a button on the vest. It gave it +2 in snazzy points.

M. McEwen said...

So dang CUTE! (I'm not biased at all, by the way) He is lucky that he has such a talented mom. He will always look snazzy! :-)

Cheryl said...

Good job! You are so resourceful. Wanna make me one now?

Steffy said...

Sooo cute! I love your new header as well.