Monday, February 13, 2012

Danger is in the Eye of the Beholder

When I was in junior high, our city would have a "Route 66" celebration every year. There was a parade and a little fair, and sometimes there were carnival rides.

I always wanted to go on the rides and my mom always said: "No way."

Of course I thought this was the grossest injustice. My mom was such a Nervous Nelly! The rides looked perfectly safe, and I was sure plenty of people rode on them and were fine. Plus they were assembled by trained experts who were at least 17 or 18 years old! That guy is probably like 35 or something!


But how times change. Now when I look at those "trained expert adults" all I see are a bunch of pimply ne'er do wells.


And the sparkly fun-filled rides are now rusty death-traps, missing at least 13 screws, manned by the aforementioned scalawags who are more interested in snogging each other's zits than following safety precautions. (P.s. Ferris-wheels, even in good working condition, are less fun than riding an elevator.)



So when McBaby begs to go on them I won't feel the least bit bad telling him, "No way."

He'll understand one day.

1 comment:

Travis and Celena said...

I have always felt that way about carnival rides, even when I was younger. Totally agreed with your mom and you on this one.