Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Under Cover

Nursing is a bit tricky. At church there is a "mother's lounge" where you can take your baby to feed him in privacy, along with all the other mothers privately feeding their babies. All the moms have different nursing covers and they sit modestly feeding their babies.McBaby is a great nurser, but he has a pet peeve.

He hates having something on him when he is trying to eat. At first he would suffer it for a little while, but now he cannot get over it.

He really really hates it.

I know, you are tempted to comment about this fabulous cover that you heard is great, but save your keystrokes. McBaby has tried them and hates them all.

So I just nurse him National Geographic style. I'm not actually embarrassed by this, but sometimes I wonder if the other moms are scandalized. It can't be helped though, he thrashes around so much under the cover that everyone would get a free show anyway.
So if it bothers you, I apologize. Take it up with the baby.

10 comments:

Amanda and Rob Hill said...

I am a freestyle nurser as well. I believe nursing covers were meant for the chapel, not the mother's lounge. We've all seen it and we're all doing it.

mama bear said...

as long as you're in the nursing lounge, i say go for it.

Tara said...

I just found your blog from my gmail side bar :). I had to laugh because there was such a line up for the mother's lounge on Sunday. We've all got hungry little boys. And for the record, doesn't bother me at all. I've only had about 50/50 success with nursing covers.

Sonya said...

Pfft. Nothing anyone in a nursing lounge should be scandalized over. It's not like it is a *surprise* what you are doing. I'm not thrilled when people are naked in a locker room, but that is kind of what it is for, you know?
I feel bad for the ladies sitting on benches at the store, fully covered every place they need to be as they feed their baby, who get all kinds of weird looks and comments as though they were crazy. There was a lady with two toddlery kids who appeared to be nursing a baby (She was so under cover I could not even SEE the baby) and two clucky old ladies were pointedly unquiet about how they never did that and tsk tsk clucketty cluck. Ruuuude.

Caitlin said...

You crack me up! I love this! I say go for it, National Geographic style baby!

Steffy said...

I never care when people aren't covered up in the nursing lounge. Some kids just hate that cover!

Clairice said...

I wonder how scandalized people would be if you make Ewan a beanie like this! Hahaha ;D https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=289150291138607&set=a.237981749588795.65988.194887523898218&type=1&theater

McRachie said...

BAh hahaha Clairicey, you scandal queen!

Karen said...

I don't mind, but then I hate when they are talking to me the while time they have it out. I of course do NOT want to look or see any of that, but the pull on my eyes is so great that I can focus on nothing else but just trying to look at mom's face!! I hate seeing boobs, even my own...why is the pull so great?! It's like when someone says, "don't do that" then I have to do it! So go ahead and whip it out, but just know they if I am around, you are witnessing the actual melting of my brain. I kind of think the pull is related to the, "does she really have her boob out right in front of me?! I hardly know this person! I have very good friends which I have never seen the boobs on....when did this new person and I get to be this tight?" etc etc. So then I am tempted to peek to see if that is really what is going on. More power to you for being able to do that. Just know that no matter how tight we get, I ain't showin' you my boob.

Nora's world said...

I'm with you. But when I had Mia, I occasionally had members of the Bishopric "pop in" to the mother's lounge looking for someone. I always kept a blanket on my lap I could throw over my shoulder if I heard the door start to open.