Friday, March 02, 2012

Bakery Bread

I posted a recipe for french bread a few months ago and called it the "best bread", but I now need to recant that a little bit. I have found a new recipe and new method for making bread that blows any earlier attempts out of the water.

It is called "No-Knead Dutch Oven Bread". It is very little work, but it needs to sit overnight, also not surprisingly, you need a dutch oven or heavy-duty pot to make it. I used the recipe on this site. It is a simple recipe:

1/4 tsp active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting. You may use white, whole wheat or a combination of the two.
1 1/2 tsp salt
Cornmeal, flour, or wheat bran for dusting



I was skeptical that this could work, but it worked so well!
First you combine the water and yeast. You will probably feel skeptical about what a paltry bit of yeast 1/4 tsp is, but just go with it. Then you mix in the flour and salt. Your dough will look hideous and shaggy, you might decide this is probably not going to work.

Also, if you are like me, you might sneeze at this point and scare your poor baby to pieces. Sorry McBaby. Luckily you will have already covered the bowl of dough with plastic wrap so you can just forget about it until tomorrow and take care of your little angel baby.


The dough will be dotted with bubbles when it has sat for long enough (18 hours for me).


Plop it on some flour and fold it together.


Now put it seam-side down on a towel with flour or bran or cornmeal.


Now leave it alone for an hour or two while your two tiny pugs guard it.


Preheat the oven and your dish for 20 minutes at 450 f. Put your dough in the dish seam-side up, put on the lid and let it cook for 25-30 minutes. Then uncover it and let it cook without the lid for 5 minutes.


I can't believe it really worked.


Neither can the pugs.


A small part of me is kind of miffed that this worked. It was too easy. You are supposed to sacrifice for excellent bread. It should take a long time, money, a fancy oven, bruises on your hands from kneading, that kind of thing.

The other part of me feels like that small part should can it and enjoy the best bread I have ever made.

1 comment:

M. McEwen said...

I certainly wouldn't let my two 'tiny' pugs guard anything that remotely looks, smells, or tastes like food, because the only way they guard such a thing is to swallow it! :-)