Thursday, March 01, 2012

Multitasking

There are many people who are very proud of their ability to do several things at once. I am not one of these people.
I used to fancy myself as a multitasker because it seemed cool and convenient, but empirical evidence has convinced me that I was just fooling myself.


I can actually only do a good job of concentrating on one thing at a time. In fact, I have discovered that my inability to multitask is the root of my two biggest problems in life: extreme jumpiness and bad driving.


Let's say I am sitting alone on my couch. I am in the world of the couch and nothing else exists in this world besides me, the couch, and my thoughts. Then quite suddenly the phone rings! The world of the phone suddenly collides with the couch world. It is incredibly disturbing when worlds collide, and it causes me to jump.



But in the car there are so many worlds! The steering wheel, the pedals, the gears, pedestrians, lights, signs, horns, and the radio (it's best if I pretend there is no radio, but McBaby likes it).

There are so many things to think about that I feel like I can't do a very good job of thinking about all of them at once. Then I freak out about the things I was not paying attention to while I was thinking about how I can't pay attention to everything. It is a horrid cycle.


And now that I have a side-kick to go everywhere with me...well, you should probably avoid me if you see me on the road.


Let's just try to be safe.

No comments: