Friday, August 31, 2012

New Painting for a New House

Hey guys, we bought a house and are moving in today! Handsome Bryce got a great job in California so we moved down here about a month ago. We have been living in a little apartment waiting for escrow to close and it is all finally happening!

In the meantime I have been working on projects for our house. Bryce and I have always agreed that we wanted to decorate our house with our own artwork, but up until now we didn't have much wall-space. In honor of all our new wall space I have been working on a couple of paintings.

I found this fantastic oval frame at the thrift store with a canvas inside. Canvas is kind of expensive so I like to buy thrift store paintings and just paint over them. Try to find one without thick paint globs, if there are a few gobs you can probably very carefully sand them off.


Next I used painters tape to block off the gold rim, and painted the frame turquoise.


You could just do one coat if you wanted it to look really distressed. I did another coat over this though and lightly sanded it in the end so it would look like slightly antiqued painted wood instead of plastic.


I started to wonder about who had done this painting and how it ended up in the thrift store. Maybe someone loved it? Maybe someone painted it years ago and always hated it? I felt kind of nostalgic about the history behind this painting; but not so nostalgic that I didn't cover that sucker with white paint.

I did another coat of white and then sketched my drawing onto the canvas. I decided to paint the Los Angeles Temple. Temples are very important to Mormon folks if you are curious about temples you can read about it here.

I used  painters tape to block off my drawing and did an acrylic wash for the sky.

Don't put tape over anything on your canvas that is painted, it will pull off the paint.

I worked on my painting during McBaby's naps. Here is the finished piece:
 That is the wall of our apartment, not our new house. I'll post pictures of that next week!

3 comments:

Haley Dennis said...

Oh my goodness!!! It looks so great!! :D <3

Clairice said...

That looks awesome! :D How long did it take?

McRachie said...

Thanks guys! <3 It probably took 7-10 hours altogether, I just worked on it during part of Ewan's naps for a few weeks.