Thursday, October 25, 2012

McBirthday McBat Bike

McBaby turned one! This year went by so fast, and we have a lot to be grateful for.  Some of you may have seen the super-awesome Batmobile/Cozy Coupe my mom, and my sister, Sara, painted:

I wanted to give McBaby something to go with it so I was pretty excited when I bagged this prize for $1 at the thrift store:
 

Yeah, I know, it wasn't exactly screaming "Awesome Batmaness!!!!" yet. It was in good shape, rolled straight, and didn't have any cosmetic problems, (other than some nasty sticky residue on the handle). After a serious cleaning it was pretty much as good as new. Time for the paint job. First I stuck painter's tape to some wax paper and cut out some bat symbols:

I just free-handed one side and folded it in half to make it symmetrical when cutting it out, but you could print a bat symbol and trace it if you aren't lazy like me. Then I sprayed some parts of the bike yellow:

Then I stuck my bat symbols on and covered the yellow parts with saran wrap and more tape.

Then came the black paint. I recommend using a good quality outdoor spray paint.

Ta da! finished bat bike! Happy birthday McBaby! We love you and we are so lucky to have you!

4 comments:

Travis and Celena said...

Just want to know, did the paint chip off? I want to do this but my husband is totally paranoid about the spray paint coming off.

McRachie said...

So far so good, the car has been played with by a lot of kids and is still chip free. You could prime it if you are really worried but I haven't had a problem.

Steffy said...

It looks fantastic!

Camie and JD said...

Wow! One, the time goes by so fast huh?