Friday, February 01, 2013

How to Talk to pregnant Ladies

I have addressed this somewhat in the past, but it has come up in a few conversations recently, and I think it is time to help everybody out.

For some reason pregnant people are magnets for awkward, sometimes hurtful comments. I think that when people see a pregnant lady they get over-excited, like how you would feel if you noticed that a co-worker suddenly got a full-face tattoo. People just really want to comment about it.

 

No one says that though, that would be weird. Instead people explode out some comment like:



Because that is not awkward at all. People also want to joke around with pregnant people. They think they are being pretty original, but the thing is, pregnant ladies hear those exact same jokes over and over, and they never were and never will be funny. NEVAH!

Guys, this is madness. Pregnant ladies are often uncomfortable, emotional, and tired. You really can't predict how they will react. It is smarter to tease a knifey-hobo than to tease a pregnant lady. It's a lose-lose situation all around! Plus, you risk the biggest lose of all-- making a comment to a pregnant lady who...turns out not to be pregnant at all! Yikes.

So if you are really helpless when faced with a pregnant lady, here is a flow-chart to guide you through the right kinds of things to say:
Good words to incorporate:
Cute, pretty, stylish, beautiful, healthy, etc.

Words to avoid:
Big, large, whale, chub, mammoth, gargantuan, obese, lardaceous, enormous, huge, explode, giant, thick, heavy, portly, fat, expand, ballooning, twins, triplets, quadruplets, octo-mom, bulge, stretch, massive, chunk, blubber, etc.

2 comments:

Travis and Celena said...

Oh my gosh that was one of the things I hated most about being pregnant!

Seriously I already feel fat and uncomfortable, lets just take a shot at myself esteem while I am already down.

So glad I am not the only one who feels this way.

Cheryl said...

I totally agree! My baby is due the first of March. In December I had a couple of different people ask when I was due. When I said March, they responded, "oh, I thought it would be January!" Way to make me feel good!