Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Love Triangles

To be clear, I do not hate every work that contains a love triangle; I just hate it when the love triangle is the main driving plot element, or when the author spends so much time on the triangle that it takes up the bulk of the narration. A lot of people are really passionate about love triangle stories, and cannot understand why I am not interested, so I feel like I need to explain. There are two reasons why I feel this way:

#1. I don't find a love triangle to be realistic as a long-standing situation.


Sure, I can see being conflicted about which option to pursue, for a short time, but when the confusion spans several hundred pages it makes both options seem unappealing. In books or movies it always seems like the main character must choose one of two people. In reality if you find yourself unable to commit to either one of your two admirers, you shouldn't just waffle back and forth until one of them gets sick of you, then settle for the more desperate of the two. No!

You should ditch both of the people who only inspire lukewarm interest, and find a third option who you can actually feel excited about.

#2. In a love triangle the stakes are just not high enough.
In order for me to care about a story, I need to feel like the main character's problems are important. I like to think about what I would do in a similar situation, and I am interested to see how things turn out.
So, what are the stakes if Frodo fails to solve his ring problem?
 Seems intriguingly serious. I am not sure what the best course of action is.

What about if Person A fails to win the affections of Person B?
Uh, Person A is sad, I guess? Seems like the best course of action is for Person A to find someone who actually likes him? Or get a cat? I don't care.

If you are a person who loves love triangles, don't be ashamed; I am really particular and if our tastes are not the same it's cool. But don't try to convince me that I will enjoy a book or movie that is mainly composed of love triangledom!


8 comments:

Travis and Celena said...

Ugh! I can't stand the love triangles, especially when the person already knows who they are going to be with but they continue string the hopeful one along. Makes me go crazy!

You know if they were the one being stringed along that they would be pissed and yet they continue to do it. Don't waist people's precious time you whore!

Sorry, went a little far with my feelings on that one.

McRachie said...

Haha Celena, you understand my need to rant about this!

Clairice said...

Haha! This is the exact reason why Adventure Time has fallen to the dark (love triangular) side...

Travis and Celena said...

Totally understand! I am with you on this one for sure!

McRachie said...

Alas! Adventure Time! Remember when it had adventures?

Clairice said...

There used to be adventures on Adventure Time?! I almost forgot! :O

JamesnMeagan said...

My husband read the Hunger Games and his biggest gripe was the love triangle as well! He absolutely *HATES* love triangles too and thinks including it in the Hunger Games was a waste of junk.

McRachie said...

Haha Meagan, I really liked the Hunger Games, but I have a suspicion that it was originally intended to be 1 or 2 books, and a greedy publisher said, "You need to stretch this out to be 3 books, just fluff it up with a love triangle or something!"