Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Storage Ottoman Part 2

I have finished the second storage ottoman! For this one I got some cute fabric online. When the fabric came though, it was a lot brighter than I expected.

The colors were cute, but next to my more subdued blue ottoman they looked cRaZY.  I wanted a red that was closer to my red door, (you can see it in the background here) and a blue that was more blue-green.
I decided I still wanted to use the fabric, I just needed a way to take the colors down from 11. I had heard people use tea as dye, to give things a muted antiquey look, and I thought that would tame my colors just perfectly. So I found this online tutorial for antiquing and decided to go for it.

 The trouble is, I'm LDS, and Mormons don't drink tea. (No, we don't drink any kind of tea only tisanes.) Also, other than the difference between herbal tea and a tisane, I know basically nothing about tea. The tutorial said to use black tea, but all the teas have weird, non-descriptive names. There was only one box that clearly said "Black Tea" and it was a giant box with 100 bags. I didn't want to buy that much if I could avoid it, so I stood there reading the back of every box trying to find out what kind of tea was in them.

Of course in the middle of this tea-reading-fest I saw some people who go to church with me. Also of course they were not people that I know well enough to say, "I'm not going to drink this! I'm going to wash some weirdly bright fabric with it!" but they were people to whose kids I have been teaching the Word of Wisdom this month. So I just awkwardly asked the lady next to me if she knew which kind of tea contains black tea, "BECAUSE I NEED SOME TO DYE SOME FABRIC." She also didn't know anything about tea, but pointed out the giant 100 bag box that said "Black Tea" on the front, which I still didn't want to buy.

SO, if you find yourself in this situation, it turns out that "Earl Grey" tea is black tea, even though it is not called "Earl Black," and they sell it in pretty small boxes. (It is also Captain Picard's favorite.) And it worked really well:


The End.

1 comment:

Haley Dennis said...

I see Ewan has been practicing his blue steel, nice work Ewan. :)