Thursday, August 08, 2013

Body Image

A friend of mine recently wrote this blog post about "body shaming". This is something I have been thinking about for a few weeks now, and reading the article has kind of crystallized some thoughts for me.

I started thinking about it when I saw an article praising Kate Middleton for showing herself and her fully-clothed post-baby-belly to the world, like a day after she had her baby. Genevieve's article talked about negative comments, but I have started to notice more subtle shaming. I was struck by the negative message that was conveyed in praising the duchess. Someone whose body is not shameful does not have to be brave to be seen in public.

Making a big deal about her post-baby-body, even in a supposedly positive way, actually suggests that she has something to be ashamed of.

I have also paid more attention to messages about women on TV:



I have paid particular attention to how pregnant women are represented on TV:


 Not to mention that women in labor are apparently horrible and murderous. It is ironic that pregnant women are depicted as being terribly unfeminine, even though being pregnant is arguably the most feminine thing you can do.

I am lucky that body image hasn't been a struggle for me, and I hope that my little daughter doesn't have that burden either. I hope that this representation of women doesn't scare her when she is thinking about having children in the future. Don't be mistaken, pregnancy is not glamorous, or even very fun; but you know what else is not really glamorous or very fun? Working in an office building 5 days a week. Running your own business. Being a super-model. Nobody's life is glamorous all the time. If you are blessed with the opportunity to have children, don't let the comments of strangers make you afraid of one of the best experiences you can have.

2 comments:

Lolli K said...

I am always terrified when I see someone in labour on TV, they are soo dramatic about how they show it!

Nice blog, really enjoy reading this!

Lorraine xx
http://lollikelly.blogspot.co.uk/

McRachie said...

Haha thanks Lorraine, I actually was going to draw a cartoon of how labor is depicted on TV, but then I remembered that my grandma reads this blog and I didn't want her to be scandalized ;)