Monday, March 03, 2014

Plumbean

Aunt Sara gave McBoy the book, The Big Orange Splot, and lately it has been his favorite! He calls it "The Plumbean." This makes my heart happy because we also loved this book when we were growing up. I really want our kids to have a love for books so I try to do fun things that relate to the books we read, and I think this was one of our more successful activities.

Like most of my successful activities it involved cake, specifically this awesome cake pan I got in an after-Christmas sale:

If you don't have a house cake pan you could easily use something else*, (like a regular pan, or a graham cracker house, or a cupcake,) and not get any complaints at all ever.

Then we read the story,

And brought out the cake and the orange frosting:


I also made a bag of multicolored frosting by putting one drop of Red, yellow, and blue food color in a bag of white frosting. I put the drops in so they wouldn't touch each other too much.

McBoy pretty much has this book memorized now, so he kept saying, "It was like a rainbow...like a jungle...It was like a ESS-plo-SHUN!"


Then we sliced up the house for dessert.

I think doing activities that tie in with books is really helpful for McBoy to think about what is happening in the story, and gives us a chance to talk about the story and work on reading comprehension. Also it is fun!

*If you don't do cake at your house you could maybe do something similar by letting your kid drop some carrot mush on their gluten-free, non-dairy food compound, kids like orange splots of all kinds!

No comments: