Friday, March 14, 2014

The Project Room

Since we were first dating Handsome Bryce and I have spent time discussing and drawing plans for the ideal computer desk setup. The dream computer desk is very cool, and very fancy, and complicated. This is not that desk! But the most important thing about the magical ideal-desk is that the two of us can sit right next to each other. And that is what this desk is.

This is our laundry room:


I wish I took a picture before Handsome Bryce had the table mostly installed, but he is fast like a ninja! Just imagine an episode of "Hoarders" and pretend that is the before picture. This room was pretty much a catch-all. We had a constantly overflowing closet-cabinet, an elliptical machine, laundry, shoes, papers. Just everything was always piled up all over in the room.

Our house doesn't have an office, but with two little kids, and one of those kids being 2 years old, we really wanted a kid-free area where we could work on projects together.

Bryce was not super excited to use the laundry room because he felt like it was kind of uncomfortable. So I decided to add a few touches to make it cozy and nice.

 I started with this chandelier that was in the house when we moved here. (You can see it in this post) I bought some crappy Mardi Gras beads for $3 and painted them to match. Then I draped them on the chandelier and hot-glued them in place.
 Then I added some little teardrops. I think this made the biggest difference because it replaced the harsh florescent light with a warmer nicer light. Instantly better!
 I also added a nice shower curtain to separate the laundry area from the creative area. I think this was important because we both work a lot better in an area that is tidy and organized, and even when it is clean the laundry area just looks stressful. Bryce built the table and put a whiteboard up behind the computers.
I painted the edge of the table to add a little bit of cheerfulness but keep the industrial look. This whole project took about 1 weekend to finish and it has been so nice! I love having a place to work with Bryce! It's nice to have the computers away from the kids, and with just a few little touches it has become a comfortable and cozy place to work. It's a micro-office compared to our grandiose dream-office, but it has made a big difference!

No comments: