Monday, June 15, 2015

Tree Painting

I made a painting, a great big watercolor painting! I was pretty nervous to try out watercolors but my dad, and my friend Sara Gourley gave me a lot of good tips and encouragement to get started. So I watched a hundred youtube videos and got to work.

You have to soak watercolor paper and then tape it to a flat surface so it won't buckle while you are painting it. I taped mine to our card table. Unfortunately that table is made of some kind of space-age plastic that nothing on this earth can stick to. After about the 3rd day of painting all the tape let go. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

 But I already had a lot of paint on it so I just decided to work with all the buckles. I do not recommend this, unless your life is just so easy that you are looking for a way to make it difficult.

 Luckily the paper I used was really heavy, so things worked out in the end.

I'm happy with how the painting turned out, but I am probably most impressed with the frame Handsome Bryce made for it. Sometimes I just stare at that swirling cherry grain and forget about the painting.

If you don't paint, and you wish you did, I encourage you to give it a try. Maybe your paper will buckle and be a horrible mess, but your brain will grow and maybe the horrible mess will turn into something you love. Thanks again Sara, Dad, and Bryce!

No comments: